Premature Ejaculation Experts define PE?
It was your first time together. You know your performance was underwhelming. However, you were not expecting to hear…
“Is that it?”
Embarrassment is an understatement.
You are mortified.
Your not even sure if its worth making up some excuse or just avoiding her forever.
Maybe its time get an expert opinion.
So you google…
“Premature Ejaculation experts UK”
“Expert definition of premature ejaculation?”
There are many expert definitions of premature ejaculation. The common denominator is that they all agree on one thing…
“Nobody likes PE”
How do experts define Premature Ejaculation?
The premature ejaculation experts at the International Society for Sexual Medicine (ISSM) have updated the definition of premature ejaculation as a male sexual dysfunction with the following characteristics:1
- An inability to control or delay ejaculation after all or almost all vaginal penetrations
- An ejaculation that frequently occurs before or within a minute of vaginal penetration since the first sexual experiences
- A clinically significant reduction in the latency time to about less than 3 minutes
- Causes negative emotional consequences such as distress and frustration resulting in avoidance of sexual intimacy
The profound social impact premature ejaculation can create on the man’s self-esteem, personal relations, and emotional health have also been highly stressed upon by the ISSM.
What are the causes of premature ejaculation?
In the past, premature ejaculation was believed to be psychological in nature. However, recent scientific research studies by premature ejaculation experts have revealed that neurophysiological and genetic predisposition can play a role in triggering this condition.
Here are some factors that can increase the risk of premature ejaculation:
- Advancing age
- Genetic predisposition due to the impairment of inhibitory serotonergic pathways, which regulate ejaculation
- Chronic prostatitis 2
- Depression or anxiety about expected failure
- Negative sexual experience in childhood
- Strained personal relations
Treatment of premature ejaculation
Treatment of premature ejaculation varies depending on the underlying cause and the associated complaints such as erectile dysfunction or depression.
As per the advice of premature ejaculation experts, the treatments include:
- Psychological Therapy: Psychological therapy is aimed at addressing stress and negative emotions that affect sexual relationships. The goal of the therapy is to identify the source of conflicts and help the couple grow closer. It can help reduce anxiety in men about the failure to get an erection or avoid premature ejaculation and improve sexual confidence.
- Behavioral Therapy: Behavioral therapy includes exercises that build a tolerance to delay ejaculation. Some of these exercises include the squeeze method and the stop-start method. 3 The stop-start methods involve the cessation of genital stimulation until the heightened sensation of sexual arousal subsides. The squeeze method requires the man to squeeze the glans prepuce at heightened arousal.
Some other behavioral treatments recommended to manage premature ejaculation include:
- Kegel exercises
- Semans technique
- Masters and Johnson technique
Medications for premature ejaculation
The premature ejaculation expert doctor may prescribe topical anesthetic agents, tricyclic antidepressants, or selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors depending on the specific cause of the condition.
Unsure if you are suffering from Premature Ejaculation? Complete our FREE quiz to find out!
Surgical management for PE
Surgical therapies such as neuromodulation and dorsal penile nerve cryoablation have been reported to improve intravaginal ejaculation latency time and reduce the frequency of premature ejaculation however these should only be considered as a last resort.
The doctors at the UK Men’s Health Clinic are premature ejaculation experts. The team at the UK Men’s Health Clinic offer discreet assessment service to the men suffering from premature ejaculation.
A private video conferencing or telephone consultation can be arranged with a licensed UK Doctor to evaluate the extent of the problem and recommend the appropriate treatment.
If you are one of the many UK men suffering from premature ejaculation, help is available to you if you take the first step. Reach out to us at the UK Men’s Health Clinic to seek effective and long-lasting solutions to your sexual problems and restore an optimum level of sexual intimacy you always desired.
- Ege Can Serefoglu, Chris G. McMahon, & Marcel, D. Waldinger. (2014, February). ‘Definition of Premature Ejaculation (PE)’. The International Society for Sexual Medicine. https://www.issm.info/news/sex-health-headlines/definition-of-premature-ejaculation-pe/.
- Liang CZ, Zhang XJ, Hao ZY, Shi HQ, & Wang KX. (1993, March). ‘Prevalence of sexual dysfunction in Chinese men with chronic prostatitis’. BJU International. 568–70. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=Liang%20CZ,%20Zhang%20XJ,%20Hao%20ZY,%20Shi%20HQ,%20Wang%20KX.%20Prevalence%20of%20sexual%20dysfunction%20in%20Chinese%20men%20with%20chronic%20prostatitis.%20BJU%20Int%202004;93:568%E2%80%9370.
- Melnik, T., Althof, S., Atallah, A.N., Puga, M.E., Glina, S., Riera, R. (2011, August). ‘Psychosocial interventions for premature ejaculation’. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=Melnik%20T,%20Althof%20S,%20Atallah%20AN,%20Puga%20ME,%20Glina%20S,%20Riera%20R.%20Psychosocial%20interventions%20for%20premature%20ejaculation.%20Cochrane%20Database%20Syst%20Rev%202011:CD008195.